Sunday, January 23, 2011

A Particular Affliction

A particular affliction of some vehicle owners (myself included) is STS (stuck truck syndrome). From what I understand, it runs in families, so if I have it, my brother is also at risk whether he has manifested symptoms yet or not. In our case, my brother manifested symptoms around the same time I did, though he was in snow, and I was in mud at the time.


Above and below we see the typical symptoms of STS manifested: The four-wheel drive equipped truck, bottomed out on something unyielding and in this case, the front end buried in four feet of snow.



The afflicted truck owner, surveying the 'stuck-ness' of the rear differential on the ice and snow.


Maybe if I attach the hook here I can put another dent in my bumper....


The real culprit in this episode of STS is the desire to help someone out by pushing the snow a little bit farther back than the regular plow guy could. Things just go down hill from there until the 'friend with big truck' is called and offered a six-pack of the beer of his choice to come administer the cure. It is important for the afflicted truck owner to keep their cool and remember that you will get unstuck, someday. It may not be today. When we did finally get her out, we missed the edge of the house by mere inches.


Said 'friend with big truck' did not wish to be identified lest the world find out how good natured and helpful he really is.

After getting the truck unstuck, I got to chill out and play some bass for the first time in three years with my friend Julian.

We need a drummer.

And lastly, the main things I look forward to after snow plowing are the delectable treats one of my customers bakes for me in lieu of payment.
Two pies and a coffee cake will keep my sweet tooth satisfied until the next snow storm

And that's the news from the Country Estate. Bundle up, its gonna be a cold one tonight!

No comments: