Sunday, January 9, 2011

Home Economics-Lesson 1: Lunch for the Working Man


As many people are tightening up the budgetary belt (as we are), I thought I'd share some of the ways we make the dollars go a bit farther.


As a working man, lunch is a very important meal for me, but also potentially expensive. I used to eat a cold cut sandwich and a bit of Stonyfield's organic cream on top vanilla yogurt. Because times are lean, I've cut back on the processed foods. I am blessed with a wife who is talented and chooses to be helpful. Here is KT parceling out my week's lunch into five separate containers. Some weeks its pasta with meat sauce, others its spicy beans and rice. This week, chili over the top of linguine.


I do my part (usually) by washing the dishes. For some reason, I find washing dishes easier when I have a good mustache going.



First, the linguine in all the containers, then, a hearty helping of veggie chili on top. Funny, when money is tight, our diet turns more vegetarian. Every morning, then, I put one of these containers in my lunch box, along with a couple of carrots from our Winter CSA and maybe some piping hot squash soup in my thermos and I'm eating tasty and healthy lunch for about $2 per day instead of $5-6. All this frugality is work, but if you've got time and not money, then its worth it.


Vegetarian, except for the cute little baby chickens we eat every morning! Actually, since I dispatched our last rooster a while back, all our fresh eggs have been unfertilized. This two dozen eggs represents a little less than three days of regular production for our eleven hens. On the whole, owning your own chickens isn't really cheaper than buying eggs in the store. But when you consider the fun factor of searching for wayward hens in the blowing winter wind at night and disposing of rabid raccoons that shack up in the chicken house, then I would say owning your own hens is well worth it.

No comments: